New waves in Windy.app, literally
Windy.app has switched to a new numerical model MFWAM for the global ocean sea surface waves (we use primary swell only). This is what important to know about the update:
- MFWAM is a third generation wave model the global wave system of Météo-France is based on.
- The forecast has a much better grid resolution of 1/12 degree (roughly 8 km / 4.9 mi) compared to previous one used int he app.
- The forecast's depth is 10 days (240 hours).
- The operational model is driven by 6-hourly analysis and 3-hourly forecasted winds from the IFS-ECMWF atmospheric system.
- Waves forecast in our app updates daily around 15:00 UTC.
You can add swell forecast to your personalized forecast table. To do it, press "Customize Forecast" button on the spot screen.
Please, email us at [email protected] with any questions or suggestions.
Photo: Timur Garifov
Get more news and updates in Windy.app News.