Find out what do you see on the weather station screen, how to find stations in the app and get extra data from it, why do you need stations for weather forecasting.
The screen of each weather station is a simple coordinate system consisting of two scales — vertical and horizontal — the same as you learned in math lessons in a primary school a hundred years ago:
By adding up both data, you get an hourly wind forecast for the day from this weather station.
You can also understand wind speed by the color of the graph on the screen. The colors are the same as on the Wind and Precipitation Map on the Home screen. Blue is 0 m/s, green — 5 m/s, yellow — 10 m/s, red — 15 m/s, pink — 20 m/s and purple is 25 m/s.
Look at this colorful mount! It means there is a wind at the end of the world in Ushuaia, Argentina (click on the link to get the same weather station data on the Windy.app website).
The dotted line on the graph is wind gusts (also measured in meters per second). It can be or not, depending on the weather situation.
The direction of the wind indicated by the arrows at the bottom of the screen:
The extra data at the bottom of the screen is the current wind direction on the spot (0 degrees — north, 180 degrees — south) and the minimum and maximum wind speed for the current day:
The very bottom of the screen shows the local time at the spot. In Windy.app weather stations are also a type of spot.
Now let's go back to the top of the screen. There are three icons: 1) Go to Wind and Precipitation Map to see big weather picture, 2) Share this Weather Station with friends 3) Add Weather Station to Favorite Spots:
There is the name of the station, its distance from your location (if you gave Windy.app access to your geolocation), the latest weather data update, wind direction, and wind speed.
Click on a weather station to go to its screen.
1. Click on the nearest or favorite spot on the Home Screen, or find it through a search or a Wind and Precipitation Map.
2. Scroll the screen to the end to see a list of weather stations near the spot — usually, there are three stations.
Here you see the same information from the weather station as on the Home screen, but in addition: the air temperature and Forecast Accuracy feature.
1. Go to the map from the Home Screen.
2. Go to the map's Settings and remove all other types of spots to find the station faster.
3. Click on the station icon. There is the same information as on the Home Screen, and the Top-rated Weather Forecast Model icon (percentage). Read more about this feature next in this guide.
4. Click on the star icon to add a weather station to your favorites. It will appear in your favorites spots on the Home Screen (each weather station in Windy.app is also a type of spot).
5. Click on a weather station to go to its screen with weather data.
If you need more screen space to weather forecasting with weather stations, use the spots information on the website. There are the same stations data presented in a bit different way.
1. Go the Spots section of the website and choose a particular spot.
2. Click on Show Diagram.
3. Scroll the graph to the left and to the right to get wind speed and gusts forecast for the day.
Edit weather stations data, if you think it shows the wrong weather forecast, or add your own weather station. In both to do so write to [email protected].
Cover photo: luo-lei / Unsplash