How to select the measurement units in Windy.app
Among 100+ Windy.app features, there are always one or two, or even three small ones that you didn't know about, right? Even if you're a true weather expert using the app. Meanwhile, these may be small, but important features.
For example, you can easily select the measurement units of all weather parameters in the app. Why select units? The U.S. and some other countries still use the Imperial and US customary measurement system, while the Metric system has been adopted worldwide.
Here's exactly how you can do it. Let's take iOS as an example:
Go to the Main Menu from the Home screen of the app, and from there to Settings and Units.
Here you can select:
- Wind speed: m/s (meters per hour), mph (miles per hour), kph (kilometers per hour), kts (knots: 1 nautical mile per hour, 1.852 kmh, 1.15078 mph or 0.514 m/s), beaufort (Beaufort wind force scale).
- Air temperature: °C (Celsius), °F (Fahrenheit), K (Kelvin, the base unit of temperature in the International System of Units)
- Atmospheric pressure at sea level: hPa (hectopascal pressure unit), inHg (inch of mercury), mmHg (millimeter of mercury).
- Tidal datums: LAT (Lowest Astronomical Tide), MLLW (Mean Lower Low Water), MSL (Mean Sea Level).
- Distance: kilometers (km), miles (mi), nautical miles (1852 meters or about 1.15 miles).
- Height: m (meters), ft (feet, 0.3048 m).
- Precipitation: mm (millimetre), in (inch).
- Time: 24 h (hours), 12 h (hours).
- Forecast step: 1 hour, 3 hours.
- Time zone: automatically, depending on the time zone settings in your smartphone or tablet. No need to make settings.
Learn more about each of the parameters in a special Weather parameters guide.
You can also select units from the spot screen clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner or from the Weather Profiles icon:
Read more useful small tips like this one
How to share weather forecast with a friend
How to change the colors of the Wind Map
Cover photo: Matt-gross / Unsplash