Among 100+ Windy.app features, there are always one or two, or even three small ones that you didn't know about, right? Even if you're a true weather and outdoor expert using the app. Meanwhile, these may be small, but important features.
For example, you can download an offline weather forecast for remote areas for your favorite spots and any place on the map. Why download the forecast in advance? You may need it in at least three situations: 1. You notice that your favorite spot(s) has a poor Internet connection; 2. You are going to wilderness areas where there is no mobile network; 3. You expect bad weather that can affect the Internet connection. This way you can be sure that you will get an accurate and timely weather forecast regardless of the above-mentioned circumstances.
Here’s exactly how you can do it:
1. From the Home screen of the application, from the Spot screen or from the Weather Map, go to the Menu or Settings and select the appropriate item.
Home screen of the Windy.app for iOS
Spot screen menu in the Windy.app for iOS
2. Download the offline forecast for your favorite spots. You must have at least one spot added to your Favorites before doing this. To add stop, tap on a star icon to the right of the spot name on the Weather Map.
Activating / downloading offline weather forecast in the Windy.app for iOS
3. The second option to getting an offline forecast is to download the map. To do this, select an area on the map you want to get forecasts for. You need to select an area and not the whole map, in order to download only the place you need and to save phone memory.
Offline weather forecast for remote areas in Canada in the Windy.app for iOS
4. Similarly turn off the offline forecast for your favorite spots and delete the loaded map in the same menu if you do not need the forecast anymore.
Offline Mode in Main Menu in the Windy.app for iOS
5. In the Weather Map settings you can also activate Low Internet Mode for the whole map if you experience a weak internet connection. This will help the app to download the forecast faster.
Low Internet Mode in the Weather Map Settings in the Windy.app for iOS
Text: Ivan Kuznetsov, an outdoor journalist, editor and writer from the Dolomites, Italy, and Karelia, Finland, with 10 years of professional experience. His favorite sports are hiking, cycling and sauna. Read his other articles
Cover photo: Willian Justen de Vasconcellos / unsplash