Among 100+ Windy.app features, there are always one or two, or even three that you didn't know about, right? Even if you're a true weather and outdoor expert using the app. Meanwhile, these may be important features.
For example, you can go to the weather station from the Spot Map — the small map at the top of each spot's screen. This is another quick and convenient way to find the nearest weather stations to your favorite spot in addition to several others. You may be the one who finds it best. Stations provide near real-time weather data, so they should be used along with weather forecasts from various weather models, as well as observations and advice from locals in chats on every large and popular spot in the Windy.app Community.
Here’s exactly how you can do it:
1. Open your favorite or closest spot to your current location (first activate the geolocation function in the phone's settings) — for example, the town and marina of Lecco on the Como Lake (read an outdoor guide to it) in the Bergamo Alps in northern Italy.
Lecco marina and outdoor spot in the Windy.app for iOS
2. Zoom in and out the map at the top of the Spot screen like you do on the Weather Map. Yes, you can do that to the Spot Map too!
3. On the Spot Map you will see icons of weather stations. Then just click on one of them to go to the station screen. Here you can get near real-time wind and temperature data.
Weather stations on the Lecco Spot Map in the Windy.app for iOS
Galbiate D6022 weather station in the Windy.app for iOS
4. Click on the map icon in the upper right corner of the map on the Weather Station screen to find out the exact location of the station. Activate the Live Weather Stations feature to get wind data.
Galbiate D6022 weather station location on the Weather Map in the Windy.app for iOS
5. Zoom in on the map to get a bigger picture of the station's location. Why do I need to do this? For example, to find out about other nearby spots. In this case, the station is located in Monte Barro Regional Park where there are several excellent hiking routes, including the ascent to the summit of the mountain of the same name, which offers a magnificent views over the entire city of Lecco, Como Lake, the Bergamo Alps, and many other mountains.
Monte Barro Regional Park on the Weather Map in the Windy.app for iOS
Text: Ivan Kuznetsov, an outdoor journalist, editor and writer from the Dolomites, Italy, and Karelia, Finland, with 10 years of professional experience. His favorite sports are hiking, cycling and sauna. Read his other articles
Cover photo: Kasturi Roy / Unsplash